Saturday 14 April 2012

David Haslam Talk

One of the talks that we were given that really stood out for me was one by a Manchester DJ called David Haslam. he really opened my eyes and made me think about the mainstream culture that we live in and how we need to create something that's much more personal and be spoken, something that can react against mainstream technology.  He mentioned about how bands such as Joy Division and The Smiths started off small scale, been very unknown and playing in dingy places or wherever they could with tiny audiences. I also found it interesting how Manchester is a very secretive and unknown place which made me want to find out and explore more about Manchester and go to the small un known places such as the 'Krak Gallery' hidden away in the Northern Quarter. Bands started off small and grew bigger as mainstream caught on. This is big inspiration for me as it showed me that you need the philosophy to make something happen, something that's against mainstream that allows you to express what you want and allow the ideas to come to life which gives you that independence to create something that no one else has thought off.


No comments:

Post a Comment