Wednesday 18 April 2012

Model Making - Lindsay Swan

Seeing as not everyone was able to make the workshop on Monday 19th March I thought showing you what I had done might make it easier to understand what you’d missed and maybe give you any ideas. We had to start thinking about potential ideas for the space in relation to our projects. Every group has been given their own space in the studio to start model building on. I guess it’s an easy way of visually explaining ideas to ourselves and everyone else. I chose to base my project on colours and patterns in morocco. It seems a really random starting point but when I think of colours in Manchester, I think of greys and browns which I find really uninspiring. I wanted to go completely opposite, looking at a place where the buildings are much smaller and their interiors are more intimate. Even though I think that one of the selling points of the new building is going to be the feeling of open space I think that there is still the option to have certain areas that are cosy maybe making it, in a way, more homely. I like how calm and comfortable Morrocan living seems with the combination of warm colours, textures and fabrics. I think bringing this into what seems to be a really modern, city style of architecture could be like a hidden luxury. When researching interiors in the library, I came across this photo of hanging drapes. It gave me the idea to think about how they could act as a sort of screen, dividing the large open spaces of the new building into smaller, cosier areas without being too harsh or a permanent fixture. I originally started by hanging small strips of sheer white fabric but felt that it didn’t fully explain what I had in my mind. Although my colour exploration is not that detailed or thorough at this point in my project, I felt that bringing some closely related colours within the materials I had to work with at this point to work with was important. It’s definitely not a work of art but I hope it kind of explains the point. J






No comments:

Post a Comment